Matthew Ploeger is dedicated to serving Sutliff & Stout’s clients with diligence, skill, and commitment. He enjoys the intellectual challenges, but even more importantly, finds great satisfaction in helping people understand and navigate the legal system and championing them in the courts.
Matthew Ploeger began his legal career serving as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Nathan L. Hecht, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court. He then joined the appellate practice group at a major law firm, where, for over ten years, he handled all manner of appeals and worked closely with trial teams, providing crucial support by handling summary judgments and other pre-trial motions, jury charges, and post-verdict motions. With this experience, Matthew opened his own appellate law practice.
As his educational background indicates, Matthew has long been interested in law and the ways we resolve disputes. Before attending law school at Stanford, Matthew studied sociology of law and criminology at the University of Texas, ultimately earning a Ph.D. Throughout his time at UT, Matthew had the privilege of being the research assistant for the Consumer Bankruptcy Project, with Professors Teresa Sullivan, Jay Westbrook, and (now Senator) Elizabeth Warren.
Throughout all of this study and practice, Matthew’s love of the law has never waned. He continues to enjoy the intellectual challenges, but even more importantly, finds great satisfaction in helping people understand and navigate the legal system and championing them in the courts. He is dedicated to serving Sutliff & Stout’s clients with diligence, skill, and commitment. In 2021, Matthew was honored as a Super Lawyer.
Activities And Affiliations
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, Third Court of Appeals Pro Bono Committee
- Super Lawyers – Thomson Reuters – 2019, 2020
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Stars – 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Member and Past Chair, Civil Appellate Law Section, Austin Bar Association
- Founder and Past Chair, Stanford Law Alumni Chapter, Austin Region
- Member, Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Partner, Austin Ridge Bible Church