Not Every Lawyer Is Right For You
If your lawyer does one of the following:
- Disregards your calls or emails
- Settles for less than what you deserve
- Lies about their experience
…it may be time to think of other options.
It’s important to remember that selecting a lawyer is a big decision that should not be taken lightly. To make the best decision on what car accident lawyer to hire, it’s best to evaluate your options and inquire as to the person’s qualifications.
How You Can Change Your Lawyer
Changing your lawyer can be a scary, and concerning decision. In actuality, it’s a simple and easy process that can be done in a small number of steps.
If your lawyer isn’t treating the way you deserve, or your case isn’t getting the attention it needs, it may be time to look elsewhere. We always recommend trying to work the issue out with your current lawyer, but if this is not possible or it is clear that you need a different lawyer then you should do several things. In the context of an injury claim, you should do the following:
- Send a written termination letter. Here are some tips and things to think about when sending this letter:
- The letter can be mailed, faxed or emailed, but it should be in writing.
- The letter should state the reason for the termination. In Texas, in the context of a personal injury claim, you have a right to fire your lawyer for any reason but that doesn’t mean that the lawyer is not entitled to his or her fee. Whether the lawyer is entitled to his or her fee depends on the reason for the termination and whether it is a for cause termination.
- With respect to the lawyer’s interest, the letter should attempt to determine whether the lawyer intends on trying to maintain an interest in your case.
- The letter should request a copy of your file.
- Most lawyers will want you to fire your initial lawyer before speaking to you about your particular case because the lawyer does not want to interfere with your contract.
- Once you have terminated your lawyer, you need to look for a new lawyer. We suggest that you try to find a lawyer who specializes in your particular type of case.
- When talking with any new lawyer be sure to tell him or her about the prior representation and why you decided to go in a different direct
When selecting a new lawyer, we suggest you look for the following things:
- Is the lawyer Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law?
- Has the lawyer tried personal injury cases?
- Is the lawyer’s practice focused on personal injury claims? If the lawyer is a generalist (e.g. handles family law, criminal law and personal injury), you may want to find someone else.
- Does the lawyer have the resources necessary to handle your case? Fighting with insurance companies is hard and expensive. In order to get full and fair value for your claim, you need a lawyer that has the money and resources needed to handle your claim.
- What does the lawyers reviews look like? Be sure to look a few different sites to get a good overview of what others are saying.
- What are some examples of the lawyers past results? Does the lawyer have examples of prior cases similar to your type of claim?
Contact Sutliff & Stout, Personal Injury Lawyers Today!
Sutliff & Stout, Injury & Accident Firm knows how important it is to have the right legal assistance. Picking a lawyer that’s best for you is a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Our lawyers take each client’s case seriously. We have successfully represented clients in all fields of personal injury, such as car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle accidents. We have obtained hundreds of millions in verdicts and settlements.
Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you have questions about your case. We represent clients all across the state of Texas, and have offices in Houston, Austin, Marble Falls, and San Angelo. We offer a no obligation, free consultation for your case. Call us at 7139877111 to schedule your case review today.