The sunny weather and lively culture in Houston, Texas encourage residents to get up and get outside to walk, bike, and run. Unfortunately, a simple walk outside can quickly turn into a catastrophe. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crosswalk accident, you have guaranteed rights that a knowledgeable Houston crosswalk accident lawyer can inform you of.
Sutliff & Stout is a strong contender for top legal counsel in the Houston area. With hundreds and thousands of dollars in recoveries secured and the expertise of Board-Certified trial attorneys, you can rest assured you and your case will be represented by very capable litigators.
How Common Are Crosswalk Accidents in Houston?
Annually, 13 percent of all traffic accidents result in death across the United States. Although you may have never experienced or witnessed a crosswalk accident, they occur more frequently than you may think. Approximately 73 percent of traffic accidents transpire in heavily populated areas near crosswalks, sidewalks, and roundabouts. In Houston, the number of accidents, fatalities, and injuries have skyrocketed up 17 percent from 2015 to 2019.
Despite the large focus Texas and Houston have attributed to road safety, the state remains among the worst for pedestrian accidents. Anywhere between 400 and 500 pedestrians are struck and killed in Texas every year. Speeding, intoxicated drivers, reckless drivers, poor road conditions, and dangerous school and construction zones contribute to pedestrian accidents at crosswalks.
Laws Governing Pedestrians and Drivers at Crosswalks in Houston
The state of Texas has several laws intact governing pedestrians’ and drivers’ responsibilities at crosswalks, which can be found under transportation code Chapter 552. The drivers of a bus, bicycle, truck, motorcycle, or motor vehicle all have specific laws that must be adhered to, including:
- Exercise due care toward pedestrians
- Use precaution in such situations as bad weather, school zones, construction sites
- Warn pedestrians by honking your horn
- Yield to pedestrians who have the right of way
- Yield to pedestrians using marked or unmarked crosswalks when the pedestrian is on the same side of the roadway as you or approaching near the other half of the roadway
- Yield to a pedestrian if no traffic control signal is in operation when the pedestrian is on the same side of the roadway as you or approaching near the other half of the roadway
- Do not pass another vehicle that is stopped to yield to pedestrians
A pedestrian, on the other hand, is someone traveling on foot. In certain situations, pedestrians don’t have the right of way in Texas. Some of these circumstances include:
- When a traffic control signal is red or yellow
- When a traffic control signal at an intersection shows “wait” or “don’t walk”
- When crossing a street with no marked crosswalk, or crossing outside of a marked crosswalk
- When crossing a street with a pedestrian tunnel or overhead crossing
Catastrophic Injuries to Pedestrians at Crosswalks in Houston
Generally, injuries to pedestrians at crosswalks in Houston are catastrophic. While car accidents may result in small fender benders, crosswalk accidents don’t usually fall short of being deadly. Those that survive crosswalk accidents commonly sustain the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures, burns, cuts, and scrapes
- Amputations and disfigurement
- Soft tissue and internal injuries
- Pelvic injuries
The human body is no match for the weight, speed, and force of impact of motor vehicles. Surviving the trauma associated with crosswalk accidents may be fortunate, but it will be a long journey to find yourself whole again. Take the journey with an aggressive and compassionate legal team on your side.
Discover Houston’s Best Crosswalk Accident Lawyers
While you or a loved one focus on recovering after your accident, Sutliff & Stout will fight for your legal rights. Our primary focus as personal injury attorneys who specialize in crosswalk accidents is to help accident victims in Houston secure full monetary restoration in their claims. We understand just how stressful handling legal matters can be when you’re overwhelmed with grave injuries. Let us help obtain the justice you deserve—we pledge to make it a point to personally investigate the details of your case.
Working with Sutliff & Stout means becoming a part of our family. You aren’t just another client to us, you’re a person—someone who’s been wronged in almost unimaginable ways. Call (713) 987-7111 or complete a contact form for a free, no-obligation case review today. We’re confident in our practice, and there’s no fee unless we win your case for you.