Failure to yield is among the leading cause of roadway accidents in Houston. Some drivers simply fail to give their full attention while driving, and others consider themselves above the law. Regardless of why the failure occurred, everyone is obligated to yield the right-of-way by following official traffic signs and signals and adhering to the rules of the road.
After a failure to yield accident in Houston, one call is all it takes to reach the law offices of Sutliff & Stout. We are Texas’s premiere personal injury law firm, consisting of Board-Certified trial attorneys who are passionate about helping injured victims attain justice.
General Right-of-Way Rules in Houston, Texas
Texas traffic laws, also known as right-of-way rules, spell out who should proceed first in various scenarios. Understanding general rules that may apply to you, whether you’re a driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, may help keep you safe and prevent an accident. Right-of-way laws are designed to help people on and off the roads travel safely to their destinations by determining who should yield in certain roadway circumstances. Here’s a quick overview of right-of-way laws in Houston:
- Drivers operating on a paved road have the right-of-way over drivers operating on an unpaved road.
- Drivers operating on the main road have the right-of-way over drivers approaching that road from a driveway, private street, or alley.
- At an unsignalized intersection, drivers must yield the right-of-way to traffic moving through the intersection.
- Drivers attempting to make a right-hand turn must yield to all crossing traffic and pedestrians.
- Drivers attempting to make a left-hand turn must also yield to all opposing traffic and pedestrians.
- Active emergency vehicles always have the right-of-way.
Not following appropriate right-of-way laws may not only result in hefty fines but also cause a devastating road accident. People who are hurt in car accidents involving a failure to yield may be eligible for filing a personal injury claim against the liable party. The attorneys at Sutliff & Stout can explain applicable laws and lead an investigation into your accident.
What Is Needed to Prove Liability in Failure to Yield Accidents?
In most cases, failure to yield accidents are caused by a negligent driver. To hold the driver liable for your damages, you must prove the driver’s negligence. In Texas, negligence claims are based upon the concept that people expect to be treated with a reasonable standard of care from others. Failure to properly administer a typical standard of care can result in a lawsuit. Proving negligence requires the validation of these four elements:
- Duty of care: The defendant had a legal responsibility to use due care to not bring harm to the plaintiff
- Breach of duty: The defendant’s misconduct led to a breach of duty
- Causation: The defendant’s dereliction of duty caused the plaintiff’s injuries
- Actual damages: The plaintiff’s injuries led to financial losses
Sustaining an injury after a failure to yield accident is overwhelming due to the mental anguish and financial burden that follow. Knowing what qualifies as negligence and how to build a strong case may be even more demanding. Fortunately, the failure to yield accident lawyers Sutliff & Stout do this every day.
What Can a Houston Failure to Yield Accident Attorney Do for You?
When you seek representation from Sutliff & Stout, we will immediately begin unraveling every single detail that relates to your failure to yield accident. In a comprehensive and timely manner, our team will help with the following:
- Reconstructing the accident scene
- Reviewing medical documents
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Utilizing key resources for support
- Calculating your current and future losses
- Protecting your rights
Our Houston lawyers at Sutliff & Stout are committed in our pursuit of a successful outcome. We are a full-service law firm, meaning we only handle accident and personal injury cases. Working with us will allow you to focus on what’s important in your life instead of dealing with the stress of unjust insurance companies.
Houston Failure to Yield Accident Lawyers Dedicated to You
Were you recently injured in a failure to yield accident due to another’s irresponsible behavior? If so, you deserve to be represented by influential attorneys to ensure justice is served. The personal injury and accident lawyers at Sutliff & Stout have decades of collective legal experience helping innocent people in Houston collect compensation for their damages. Our passion and knowledge can work to your advantage.
At Sutliff & Stout, we put our clients’ needs first. We sincerely care about listening to your story and giving you sound advice to help you make prudent decisions. We work around the clock and exhaust every opportunity to build a robust case on your behalf. We are proud to be a part of the Texas community, and that’s why we’re passionate about helping our neighbors who have been wronged. Call (713) 987-7111 or complete an online contact form to schedule your free, no-obligation case review today.