If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, the Houston slip and fall injury lawyers at Sutliff & Stout may be able to help.
Our experienced attorneys represent slip and fall accident victims in personal injury cases against the property owners responsible for their injuries and other losses.
Falls are one of the leading causes of accidental injuries in the United States, accounting for nearly 9 million visits to emergency rooms annually.
Falls can result in lifelong health complications, such as paralysis, memory loss, and permanent disability.
To discuss your personal injury case, contact us today. We offer no-cost consultations to all potential clients.
I wouldn’t even dare think of calling any other attorney.
“The Sutliff & Stout Law Firm helped me when I needed it the most with true professionalism and courtesy. Sutliff & Stout helped me make the best decisions possible. I would definitely recommend Sutliff & Stout to anyone that needs legal assistance. I wouldn’t even dare think of calling any other attorney.”
– Cassie F. Read and watch more client testimonials…
Types of Slip and Fall Accidents at Commercial Properties
Most slip and fall cases include four types of incidents that occur at stores, restaurants and other places of business.
- Wet floors: When an employee mops or buffs the floor, it is important to warn the public by placing a sign warning about the slippery floor. If you are injured in a slip and fall due to negligent activity, you are entitled to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Damaged surfaces: Uneven or broken surfaces at a property can subject the owner to liability for a slip and fall claim if the defect is considered an unsafe condition.
- An object on the floor: If an object is on the floor for an unreasonable amount of time or if an employee does not take action, the business would be liable for the injuries.
- Conditions created by Owner or Employee: If the owner or an employee created an unsafe environment by not cleaning up liquids or picking up an object on the floor would be a negligent act and can be considered a dangerous environment.
Can I Sue a Property Owner for My Accident?
Property owners and managers are required by law to keep their property safe if it is open to the public, visitors, or social guests. If they fail to do so, they may be legally responsible (or “liable”) for any injuries that occur as a result of unsafe conditions present on their property. This concept is sometimes referred to as “premises liability law.” When you are on the property of another, you are considered an invitee, licensee or trespasser.
The most common type in a slip and fall case is an invitee. An invitee is a person who visits someone else’s property after an express or implied invitation and for the mutual benefit of the invitee and the property owner. A prime example is a grocery store. The store should insure a safe environment for their customers.
A licensee is a person permitted to enter the building to fulfill specific duties. The most common type of licensees include utility workers.
A trespasser is someone who enters the property without any permission.
Victims of slip and fall and trip and fall accidents can file an injury claim with a fall accident attorney if one of the following is true:
- The owner of the premises or an employee caused a dangerous condition such as a spill, worn or torn spot in the carpet, or uneven staircase to be underfoot.
- The owner of the premises or an employee knew about a dangerous condition but did nothing about it.
- The owner of the premises or an employee should have known about a reasonably discoverable dangerous condition and removed or repaired it.
An experienced slip and fall attorney can help you understand whether you have a cause of action against the owner or manager of the property where you were hurt.
Damages in a Premises Liability Lawsuit
A slip and fall accident can cause serious injuries. Medical bills for doctors’ visits, surgeries, physical therapy, and prescription medications can add up quickly. After a fall, you may be unable to return to work due to your physical limitations or disabilities. Houston families often struggle to keep up with the expenses associated with an accident of this kind.
Fortunately, Texas law provides slip and fall accident victims and their families with a path to justice. Property owners are required to maintain insurance coverage on their premises. Therefore, if you file a claim or lawsuit against the property owner, it is actually the property’s owner’s insurance company that you will be dealing with. The insurance company will make a decision on negotiating settlements. By filing a premises liability lawsuit, your personal injury lawyer will help you gain financial security as well as a sense of closure in knowing that the party or parties responsible for your injuries will be held accountable by a court of law.
Money damages that take into account the following may be available to those who were injured on the property of another:
- The cost of past and future medical treatment;
- Physical pain and emotional suffering;
- Wages lost because of work missed after an accident;
- Reduced earning capacity due to permanent disability; and
- Time spent away from your family and loved ones
Slip and Fall Accidents at Work
In the event you experience a slip and fall while on the job, you can file a workers’ compensation claim. Workers’ compensation benefits include payment of medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
Workers’ comp insurance helps employees because they don’t have to prove the employer was at fault for their injury. Employees can qualify for benefits, even when the injury was their fault, with certain limitations.
Contact a Houston Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Houston or anywhere in Texas, a knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help you. Unlike a car accident, determining negligence in these type of injury cases can be very difficult. These legal matters are lengthy and complex. Our injury attorneys will investigate your case and get you a settlement that compensates you for your injuries or the wrongful death of a loved one. To discuss what you might recover in a personal injury case after a slip and fall incident, contact a Houston slip and fall lawyer at Sutliff & Stout Injury & Accident Law Firm today.
At Sutliff & Stout, we value the attorney-client relationship. We help victims of slip and fall accidents and their families. Our slip and fall accident attorneys are dedicated to aggressive representation of their clients that yields results. To discuss your case with a Houston personal injury lawyer, contact us to schedule a free consultation.