A Houston Birth Injury Lawyer should be consulted if you or your baby have experienced any type of injury during the labor and delivery process.
About seven out of every 1,000 babies in the United States are injured during labor or delivery. There are many forms of birth injury, and they vary in severity. There are, unfortunately, situations where a birth injury is a result of negligence on behalf of a doctor, nurse, or midwife. The birth injury attorneys at Sutliff & Stout can help if you or your child is suffering from the effects of a birth injury.
Common Causes and Forms of Birth Injury
The most frequently recorded forms of birth injury are shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus palsy, Erb’s palsy, and Klumpke’s palsy. These are usually caused by doctor mistakes during the process of receiving newborns, and result in nerve damage and poor motor functions. Prenatal asphyxia, another common birth injury, can actually result in brain damage as well as limited motor functions.
These are some examples of malpractices that your Houston birth injury lawyer may investigate:
- Inaccuracy in interpreting fetal ultrasounds
- Failure to recognize any signs of fetal abnormalities and to provide appropriate treatment
- Failure to perform c-section when the child or mother requires it, and to expedite newborn delivery
- Wrong use of delivery instruments
- Improper use of drugs used to induce labor such as Pitocin
- Failure to properly care for baby after its delivery
If you think your baby has a birth injury that may have been caused by negligence, we encourage you to call the Law Offices of Sutliff & Stout at (713) 987-7111 to schedule a free consultation.