Houston Truck Accident Lawyers
Sutliff & Stout
If you were hurt in an accident involving a commercial truck, bus, or other large vehicle, you may be entitled to recover damages for your injuries and other losses. Graham Sutliff and Hank Stout are Houston truck accident lawyers who represent victims of commercial trucking accidents in personal injury lawsuits.
To speak with an experienced commercial truck accident lawyer, contact us today. At Sutliff & Stout, we are dedicated to providing our Houston clients with aggressive representation that yields results. To schedule a free and confidential consultation with a truck accident lawyer, follow the link below.
After a Truck Accident: Questions to Ask
Dealing with the aftermath of a truck accident can be overwhelming, especially if you were seriously injured. After a truck accident, you may have many questions, including:
- How am I going to pay for my medical bills?
- How can I afford the long-term medical treatment I need?
- What if my injuries are so bad that I am unable to return to work?
- If I can no longer work, how will I provide for my family?
- The insurance company says it wants to do the right thing, but why won’t it pay my medical bills?
- Why won’t the insurance company compensate me for missed work, pain and suffering, and other losses?
At Sutliff & Stout, we help accident victims develop a plan for the future. We can negotiate with insurance companies, gather critical information about your accident, and if necessary, file a personal injury lawsuit against the people or parties responsible for your injuries.
After a Truck Accident: Filing a Lawsuit
The main theory of liability in a commercial truck accident case, or any personal injury lawsuit, is negligence. To establish a case, the injured party must show that the trucker owed a duty to him or her to exercise reasonable care in operating their vehicle. The injured person must also show that this breach, or failure to exercise reasonable care in driving, was the cause of his or her injuries.
By filing a personal injury lawsuit, a truck accident victim may be able to recover money damages that take into account:
- The cost of past and future medical treatment;
- Physical pain and emotional suffering;
- Lost wages due to work missed after the accident;
- Reduced earning capacity as a result of permanent disability;
- Loss of life enjoyment and time spent away from family and friends; and
- Vehicle repairs and damage to other personal property.
What to Do after a Truck Accident
There are certain steps you must take after a truck accident to protect yourself and your legal rights. If you have questions about what to do after a trucking accident, contact a lawyer right away.
- Call 911 to report the truck accident immediately. Notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident.
- Seek qualified medical treatment for any injuries you suffered. If you do not have health insurance, contact a qualified personal injury lawyer who can help you a doctor.
- Do not give a written or recorded statement to the trucking company, an investigator hired by the trucking company, or the trucking company’s insurance provider.
- Do not sign anything from your insurance company or that of the at-fault party before consulting with an attorney.
- In the case of serious injury or wrongful death, hire an experienced trucking accident lawyer in Houston as quickly as possible.
Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
A trucking accident lawyer can help you develop a plan for the future. Sometimes this involves filing a personal injury lawsuit so that you can seek compensation for your injuries and other losses. A lawsuit provides trucking accident victims with a path to justice.
If you bring a lawsuit against a truck driver or his or her trucking company, your attorney will prepare and file any necessary documents with the appropriate Texas court. Your lawyer will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and negotiate with insurance companies. He or she will appear at any hearings on your behalf. If your case goes to trial, your attorney will argue your case before the court.
It is important to find an attorney with whom you feel comfortable working. Make sure that he or she has experience handling truck accident lawsuits. Don’t be afraid to ask to speak with past clients who are willing to serve as references. Only hire an attorney you trust.
At Sutliff & Stout, we represent truck accident victims in lawsuits against commercial trucking companies and their irresponsible drivers. To hear from some of our satisfied clients, click here.
Sutliff & Stout are Houston Truck Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident involving a commercial truck or other large vehicle, contact Sutliff & Stout to discuss your rights. We represent truck accident victims in Houston and the surrounding areas.
To speak with an attorney about your case, call (713) 987-7111.