Countless people in Houston use transportation services for safety, convenience, and reliability. Houston is home to 2.3 million residents and is a top destination for over 31 million annual tourists, many of whom depend solely on transportation services. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon to see limousine, taxicab, and town car drivers cause devastating crashes.
Collisions involving transportation services have become increasingly unavoidable on Houston highways. Cases involving limo accidents can become especially convoluted because there are often multiple parties and defendants involved. If you’ve been injured in a taxi or limo accident while in Houston, contact our Houston taxi and limo accident lawyers as soon as possible.
All drivers in Houston owe other drivers on the highway an ordinary duty of reasonable care.
The companies that limo and taxi drivers have a responsibility to ensure the following:
- Drivers receive the appropriate training and licenses
- Drivers follow all traffic laws and regulations when operating vehicles
- Drivers are trained to ensure all passengers wear seatbelts while on the road
When drivers and companies of limousine and taxi services fail to abide by this standard of care, they can face legal responsibility for civil damages in personal injury claims or lawsuits.
Taxi and limousine accidents can leave several people injured, making these cases more complicated. The severity of injuries depends on where passengers were sitting in the vehicle, the collision force, and the type of crash. For example, whether it was a rear-end collision or head-on collision. Some taxi and limo accidents result in devastating and permanent injuries that leave victims needing long-term medical care.
Examples of common injuries in taxi and limo crashes include:
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones and fractures
- Emotional distress
- Psychological trauma
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries
The team of dedicated personal injury attorneys at Sutliff & Stout can help you prove the fault and damage in your taxi or limo accident case and work towards getting you the monetary compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Taxi or limo accidents in Houston are more complicated than car accidents because several parties may be liable for causing the collision. Possible responsible parties in your case may include:
- Taxi or limo drivers: Any driver who negligently operates a taxi or limo, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, can be held liable for the collision and resulting damages.
- Taxi or limo companies: Companies that employ taxi and limo drivers have a responsibility to hire competent drivers and train them effectively to operate safely on the road. Companies must also maintain all of their vehicles.
- Taxi or limo manufacturers: Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring that taxis and limos are constructed with the best materials to manufacture and assemble the vehicles and their coordinating parts correctly.
- Other drivers: All drivers on Texas roads owe a duty of reasonable care while driving their cars. If they drive negligently and cause an accident with a taxi or limo, they’d be accountable.
In Houston taxi and limo accidents, the accident victim has the burden of proving damages and fault for the accident. To prove that the responsibility lies with the driver, you must show that the driver acted negligently or failed to respond to prevent the accident from happening. If a taxi or limo driver was speeding excessively or running red lights, for example, they would be held liable for the accident and damages.
If you believe that your taxi or limo driver drove negligently or recklessly, or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, be sure to share this with the police officer who investigates the accident scene. The police officer will investigate the cause and details of the collision from there.
When people take a taxi or a limo rather than drive, they’re usually in a hurry or going to a special event. The last thing on their minds is getting involved in a collision. If accident victims can prove that the driver or the company was partially or fully responsible for the crash, they may qualify to recover legal damages.
Typical damages in a taxi or limo accident include:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Future medical bills and expenses
- Compensation for lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
Our team of personal injury attorneys at Sutliff & Stout understand the frustration, pain, and suffering that taxi and limo accident victims suffer. Our experienced attorneys are here to advocate for you to recover full and favorable compensation for your losses.
Taxi and limo accidents in Houston have the potential to cause severe injuries and damages to victims involved. After an accident, seek legal counsel as soon as possible. The team of car accident lawyers at Sutliff & Stout are happy to meet with you to speak about your accident and advise on the next best steps to soon be on the path to recovery without worrying about how medical expenses will be paid.
Sutliff & Stout attorneys are Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, an accomplishment achieved by less than seven percent of lawyers in Texas. To speak with Sutliff & Stout injury attorneys to discuss your taxi or limo accident over a free consultation, complete a contact form or call 713-987-7111.