• By: Hank Stout
  • Published: November 2016

Below you’ll find answers to a few of the most commonly asked questions by oilfield workers injured on the job. If you’ve been injured in an oilfield accident give us a call for a free consultation with an oilfield injury lawyer.


Q: What if my employer doesn’t carry worker’s compensation insurance?

Answer: Texas does not require most employers to carry worker’s compensation insurance. Companies that do not carry worker’s compensation insurance are known as “non-subscribers.”

These companies must follow strict reporting and disclosure requirements, and lose some important legal protections as a result of not carrying worker’s compensation insurance. While you gain the right to sue your employer for your injuries, as a non-subscriber you employer is not required to provide you medical care and compensation while you are off work.

If your employer does not carry worker’s compensation insurance and you have been hurt at work, you should call an oil field accident lawyer immediately to discuss how you can recover compensation for your injuries from a non-subscriber.

Q: If I file a lawsuit against my employer or a third party after an oil field accident, what kinds of damages are available?

Answer: When you file a civil lawsuit against your employer or third party, the primary goal is to recover money damages to cover your medical needs and losses that you will sustain as a result of the injuries. Most lawsuits will include claims for:

  • Loss of earnings as a result of work missed while recovering from your accident;
  • Loss of future earnings as a result of reduced ability to work;
  • The cost of your medical bills and other treatment;
  • The cost of future medical care that you will require as a result of your accident;
  • Increased personal or household expenses as a result of your injuries;
  • Damages for pain and suffering or mental anguish; and
  • Damages for loss of consortium and/or companionship.

Q: How long does the claims or lawsuit process take?

Answer: The answer to this question depends on the nature and severity of your injuries. Most cases can be resolved or tried within a year or year and a half of when you decide to hire a lawyer. Some cases take longer because the client has extensive injuries or the nature of the incident is more complex.

While you want to move quickly, it is important not to rush the process. If you were injured, this will be your only opportunity to be compensated so it is important to fully understand the nature of your injuries and how those injuries will affect you down the road.

Q: How do I pick the right oil field accident lawyer?

Answer: Choosing an attorney to represent you after an oil field accident is an important decision that should not be taken lightly. You should feel comfortable with your lawyer from your first meeting with him or her, as you’ll be working closely together on your case.

Always hire an attorney that you trust. Do not hesitate to ask a potential lawyer for references or testimonials from past clients. You can also research an attorney’s reputation and reviews online.

About the Author

Hank Stout is a founding partner at Sutliff & Stout, Injury & Accident Law Firm. Hank earned his doctor of jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law and has been actively trying personal injury cases for over ten years. He was recognized by Thompson Reuters as a Rising Star from 2012-2014 and has been recognized as a Super Lawyer since 2014 (a distinction given to less than 1% of the lawyers in the state of Texas). He has earned a Superb rating by Avvo, and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. To learn more, read Hank's full bio here.

Rate this post

Did you find this information useful? Or would you like to see something different? Help us improve by rating this post. If you'd like to give specific feedback, or if you have questions about a potential personal injury claim, don't hesitate contact our firm for a free case review.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(No Ratings Yet)